About the Folder:
Over the past few months, a group of homeschooling mothers and I have come together to organise a weekly meet up where our children get together and simply free play. Originally, the purpose of our meet ups were nothing more than just ‘playdates’ for our homeschooled children to allow them to socialise, do basic activities as a group and just support one another on our homeschool journey. What started out as ‘playdates’ has recently turned into something way more productive and beneficial for both mothers and children Alhamdolillah.
By Allah Ta’ala permission, we have created a ‘home-nursery’ and our very own personalised ‘Preschool Curriculum’ that we hope will last for at least 6-8 months inshaAllah. This is now available for all to download FREE now:
You can use this curriculum as a group or simply on your own. So far both children and mothers have been very pleased with it. So we wanted to share the success with other mothers like yourself. Most of what takes place in our home-nursery are taken from the ‘Letter of the Week Activity Book’ and the ‘Preschool Maths Activity Book’ where you can download on this website for free. We use the preschool maths book mainly as a guideline as we prefer to do more hands on activities and there are just so many out there walhamdolillah.
The learning objectives within our activities include; basic practical life skills, phonics learning, maths (counting colour/shape/size sorting), sensorial, fine/gross motor skills, exploring, creativity, social, fitness etc. Each mother encourages and supports their children (socially and educationally) and while the children learn at their own paste and mothers observe their unique ‘learning style’. The children’s work are also taken home to build their own Homeschool portfolios. We also have have regular group meetings over the phone where we offer one another extra support, recommend new ideas and voice other concerns.
- A Complete (English) Alphabet Planner/Timetable
- Lessons that cover 5 areas; Languages, Maths, Food Fun, Outdoor Fun and Arts/Crafts
- Word Bank for each Letter of the Alphabet
- Ideas for each lesson
- Spare Sheet (at the end of the folder) for your own ideas
- Holiday Planning
The following sums up what takes place within our playdates:
Circle Time – We begin (and end) every lesson with ‘circle time’; this starts with the remembrance of Allah where we teach the children to begin the gathering by calling upon Allah and sending peace upon the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi w sallam), we then spread the greetings of ‘Salaamu alaykom’ and encourage each person to shake hands with everybody in the room. Next, we remind the children that Allah made everything, mention what letter of the week it is and how many things they can mention that Allah made beginning with that letter. An introduction to what will take place that day will be given just after we all say the alphabet (with no music) and count to 20 or as much as the children are able. Upon completion of our day, every child is rewarded with a sticker to place on their reward chart which they stick on themselves.
‘Letter of the Week’ Theme – Each week, we introduce a new letter of the alphabet in alphabetical order. There are two meetings in a week; First meeting consists of Languages and Maths Activities, Second meeting has 3 options to choose from of various activities related to that letter; food, outdoor or arts. If, for whatever reason, work is not complete during playdate hours then children take their work home to complete there.
*There are 4 pages for each letter from the ‘Letter of the Week Book’ and we spend no more than 10 or 15 minutes per page then up to an hour doing various maths activities, the rest of the day the children are left to free play. For our second meeting (which consists of 3 different topics; Food fun, Outdoor Fun and Arts) we have the option to pick 1, 2 or all 3 of them that day depending on our time, for example if we want to do all 3 topics then we would start the day with Art then plan Food fun for a lunch then go out for the rest of that remaining day. Some days may require a trip to the Aquarium which will take up the whole day so we would find time at home to complete arts or just move on from it which is absolutely fine.
Meetings – At the end of each week or when necessary, a group meeting is held to discuss any concerns as well as planning.
This program is a really simple approach, it’s all a matter of reading through this planner and spotting the pattern of how things are done, the only change is literally the change of letter that week.
How to use the Folder:
- Print everything out on white A4 paper; adjust your printer to ‘borderless’ and one sided (one sided allows you to take notes and make checklists at the back of each page)
- Bind it at your local office supply
- Follow each page as it suits you and your family; (you can as a group or on your own)
- For more ideas, read the above ‘About’ section
What you need:
- The ‘Playdates Planner’ Folder (please have a look at the planner before you begin, this will give you a good idea of what to prepare for, remember it’s really simple and has a pattern to it throughout so don’t stress. If you have any questions then you can email your concerns inshAllah)
- Letter of the Week Activity Book, Preschool Maths Activity Book
- Preschooler(s)/Parent or Guardian
- Lesson supplies such as pencils, colours, scissors, glue, playdough, arts and crafts materials etc
- Lots of dua to Allah!
Other Resources used:
- Check ummassadhomeschool.com: ‘My Printables’ page and ‘Resources’ page: preschool section
- Online resources e.g. Twinkl for worksheets
- Outdoor fun collectables e.g. leaves
- Reading Books e.g. Jolly Phonics
- Whatever’s available at home
We hope you enjoy this curriculum and please do let us know how you and your children get on inshAllah. May Allah make it easy for us all, increase us in His remembrance and tawwakul and make our children the COOLNESS of our eyes, Ameen!
Please share, subscribe and comment!
Jazaakom Allahu khair!